Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Butcher Block - In the Making

Trent is in the process of hand making our butcher block countertop (for the center island).  Truthfully, I've looked at many butcher block counters and thought I knew exactly how they were put together.  I was so wrong.  It's much more involved and complex than I ever imagined.  Add to this complicated process the fact that our island is so big that we couldn't even special order a butcher block counter pre-made...they were going to have to make/assemble it on site.  (This would have been helpful info to have prior to ordering the cabinet that makes up the center island.)
Thankfully, Trent has a plan and it seems to be going exactly as he had hoped.  The short description is that he's taken several pieces of maple, cut them to 2" strips and is gluing them all together (in 3 sections).  He will then glue the 3 big pieces together to make the final product.  And since I only took a semester of shop class in 7th grade, I'm not helping on this particular project.

No comments:

Post a Comment